I’m going to try my best to keep it short this week. Yeah, I know I say that more weeks than not, but this week it MIGHT happen for a couple reasons.
1. I really don’t feel like I have much to write about this week. My brain is feeling kind of blank. That’s never stopped me before, so we’ll see what happens.
2. My wife and I are currently watching “The Queen’s Gambit” on Netflix and I want to get back to the last couple episodes.
The level to which we’ve been drawn into this show is kind of surprising to me. If you’d told me I’d love a fictional drama about the world’s best female competitive chess player in the 60’s I would’ve thought you were crazy. I also would’ve been wrong. Maybe I have a subliminal interest in chess because my wife’s maiden name is Rook.
The funny thing is that although chess games and tournaments are a big part of the show you don’t need to know how to play in order to understand what is going on. The information provided in the dialogue, combined with the facial expressions and body language of the characters tell you all you need to know.
Granted, I’d be able to identify with the characters a bit more if they were playing Battleship or Hungry Hungry Hippos, but I’ll just assume that the writers knew best.
– My music choice for today as I type this is the album “Sign O’ The Times” by Prince. I picked up the limited edition vinyl picture disc version a couple weeks ago at the Record Store Day Drop, and now I may need to save up for the 8 CD/1 DVD Super Deluxe Edition with remixes, outtakes, previously unreleased songs, and two complete live performances. I’ll have to ponder if I want to make this financial investment, or if I want to pay RG&E. If you have the means to do so I recommend you give it a shot. Get it HERE.
As I listen to Prince I’m also wondering if Susan and I should change the name of our newest cat (we have 6, but we’re not crazy… LOL). I mentioned a couple weeks ago that the latest addition to our menagerie is a three legged kitty that we’ve dubbed Pi because of his 3.14 legs. Now I’m thinking that in honor of Prince his official name should be p, or The Feline Formerly Known As Pi.
– I know last week’s Presidential election was divisive (and in some people’s eyes it’s not over yet,) but hopefully there is one thing everyone can agree on… the music played at the celebratory Delaware drive-in event for the Biden/Harris team was better than any that would’ve happened at a Republican rally. At least with the artist’s permission anyway. I even liked the songs I don’t really like, if that makes sense. Here’s the song list if you missed it:
1. Work That- Mary J. Blige (Vice President Elect Harris entrance)
2. We Take Care Of Our Own- Bruce Springsteen (President Elect Biden entrance)
Post speech fireworks songs
3. Times Like These- Foo Fighters
4. (Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher and Higher- Jackie Wilson
5. Sky Full Of Stars- Coldplay
6. You Make My Dreams Come True- Hall and Oates
7. The Best- Tina Turner
One note… I looked up this list online to make sure that I didn’t forget any songs and wound up at this article from The Boston Globe.
You’ll notice that The Boston Globe has poor John Oates’ name spelled wrong. It’s kind of sad that I have better proofreaders than a major big city newspaper. Thank you Susan and Lon for keeping me from looking like an idiot. Well, I am an idiot, but at least things are spelled correctly.
I wonder what the playlist would’ve been if the celebration was for President Trump, and only used artists that supported him. I can only think of “Wang Dang Sweet Poontang” by Ted Nugent, “Devil Without A Cause” by Kid Rock, and “The Boys Are Out Tonight” from Scott Baio’s 1983 album of the same name.
Okay, time for the (hopefully) thrilling conclusion to “The Queen’s Gambit”.
Stay safe, stay healthy, and in the words of Sgt. Phil Esterhaus “Let’s be careful out there”.